Dara Goldsmith was born and raised in Southern California. She enrolled at California State University Northridge at the age of 16, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Economics in 1987. While at Northridge, Dara was active in a wide range of campus and community activities and was selected the University’s 25th Homecoming Queen.
After graduating from Northridge, Dara attended Pepperdine University School of Law, where she earned a Juris Doctor in 1990, followed by a Masters of Laws in Taxation (LL.M.) from the University of Miami (1991 curriculum/1994 thesis).
After completing her coursework at the University of Miami, Dara moved to Las Vegas, where she passed the Nevada Bar Exam and began her legal career. Dara joined forces with Marjorie Guymon to establish Goldsmith & Guymon in 1996. Dara is also licensed in California, Arizona, and Hawaii.
Dara has been involved in many professional and philanthropic organizations throughout her career, including serving on the Nevada State Bar Board of Governors, as President of the Clark County Bar Association, and as Chairperson of the Nevada Community Foundation and of the Nevada Law Foundation/Justice League.
In addition to being recognized as a Nevada Super Lawyer, a Mountain States Super Lawyer, and one of the Top 50 Women Mountain States Super Lawyers, Dara has received numerous awards, including the Nevada Legal Services Pro Bono Guardianship Attorney of the Year, the Presidential Award and the Medal of Justice from the State Bar of Nevada, and the Lloyd D. George Award of Professionalism from the Clark County Bar Association and State Bar of Nevada.
Dara holds an AV Preeminent rating, the highest rating possible as voted by her peers, and recognized through Martindale Hubbell.
Dara is an accomplished swimmer and triathlete and can often be found in a pool, ocean, lake, or river. A competitive swimmer on Las Vegas Masters Swim Team, Dara competes in pool and open water meets throughout the country. She has also completed dozens of triathlons and the distance running events.
Dara is married to Michael Goldsmith. They have two adult sons who share their love of travel, exploration and adventure, open water swimming, skiing, scuba diving and trekking.
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida
- LL.M. Tax, Master of Law(s), Curriculum-1991, Thesis-1994
- Major: Taxation
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California
- J.D. - 1990
- California State University, Northridge
- B.A. - 1987
Fraternities or Sororities
- Alpha Phi
- State Bar of Nevada
- State Bar of Hawaii, Member
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Nevada Law Foundation/Justice League, Board of Trustees, 2010-Present
- State Bar of Nevada Board of Governors, 2001-2009
- Nevada Community Foundation, Board of Directors, 1998-Present
- Nevada Community Foundation, Chairperson, 2003-2005
- Nevada Community Foundation, Board of Directors, 2003-2005
- Clark County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 1993-2000
- Clark County Bar Association, President, 2000
- Clark County Law Foundation, President, 2000-2001
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Real Property and Probate and Tax Law Sections, Member
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Probate and Tax Law Sections, Member
- Southern Nevada Estate Planning Council
- Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys
- National Association Elder Law Attorneys
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Business Planning
- Business & Commercial Law
- Business Organizations
- Liquor Licensing
- Trust/Estate Administration
- Trust/Estate Litigation
- California, 1991
- Nevada, 1991
- Arizona, 1991
- Hawaii, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Nevada, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1994
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1999
- U.S. Tax Court, 1991
- State Bar of Nevada President's Award
- AV Rated, Preeminent
- Recipient, 2014-Medal of Justice Award, State Bar of Nevada
- Recipients, 2011 Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award, the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Recipient, Lloyd D. George Professionalism Award, State Bar of Nevada and the Clark County Bar Association, 2007
- Recipient, Nevada Women of Distinction Award in the area of Philanthropy, 2004
- Recipient, Nevada's Top 40 under 40 In Business, 2001
- Recipient, Mountain States Top Attorneys, 2000 - 2014
- Tiffany Trust, 177 P.3d 1060 (Nev. 2008)